Sunday, October 08, 2023

The start of it all

 So I set up this blog space a long time ago and after a few posts abandoned it. I never deleted it and decided recently to use it to chronicle my own transformation from a low carb and probably eighty percent carnivore to a complete carnivore. 

A brief history relevant to the subject at hand. When I was in my mid-fifties, I’m sixty five at this point in time, I began to experience difficulties with my health. I have been generally healthy with few serious health issues but I have always been over weight and much of that time as obese by definition. In my mid fifties my body started sending me memos that things were not going to continue on the same way. It was if my body was saying to me, ‘ Buddy, you may have good genes and all but we just can’t keep this up’. I was eating the standard American Diet with no smoking and no alcohol but a lot of sugar. I look back and estimate at least eight hundred kcals of sugar a day over everything else that I was eating. 

Part of the problem was I was becoming pre-diabetic from the high sugar intake and a lack of exercise was making high in body fat and low on muscular development. I looked big but rather than a muscular athletic build gone soft the reality was a skinny guy gone fat. One of the issues I was dealing with was high blood pressure and with it came edema, where my swollen lower legs would literally weep water out of them to the point I would put folded paper towels in my socks to absorb the water so wouldn’t have wet spots on my pants legs. 

I was having problems with a stiff neck and shoulders from a repetitive work issue that was stemming from having to work as a cashier sometimes for hours on end and the register was too low for my body, I’m six foot tall which is good to hide how really fat you are but you also fool yourself  that your not as fat as you really are. Well, something about the continuous stooping and twisting back and forth moving items through the register giving me muscles spasms. They were bad enough it was beginning to affect my work, so I went to Urgent Care to see about that and maybe do something about the edema, which I was still denying that it was a big issue, when it was in reality a urgent telegram from my body that things were going south. The urgent care X-rayed my neck and didn’t find any issues and prescribed prednisone and some muscle relaxer, but they were more concerned about the high blood issue and put me on some blood pressure meds and felt it would relieve or help with the edema. I think I’ll stop here and in the next post relate what happened and how it lead to me following a low carb diet.

2 comments:

Monica (sccindy) said...

Thanks for sharing Ron.

Monica (sccindy) said...

Thanks for sharing, Ron. :)