Sunday, October 29, 2023

COVID to carnivore

 I have been only hitting the highlights of the past ten years of my Keto-carnivore journey because I want to get it up to more of a weekly or bi-weekly account of the present status and my transition to being a complete carnivore. I will from time to time flashback to what I went through to get here now and that will fill in some gaps. So let’s continue onward to the present day. 

When COVID came along I was glad that I was now self employed because working in retail I almost certainly would have got the virus. I know that because I dealt with heads colds three or four times a year probably from handling cash and being in a crowded environment eight hours a day. I went and got the vaccine when available and have had two boosters shots. So far I seemed to have either avoided it or had symptoms so slight I didn’t know. In any event I am still on an even keel.  

My main focus was on trying to not only maintain my weight but to get back under 200 lbs and try to build up some muscle to prevent sarcopenia (muscle loss)from setting in. I managed to stay sugar free 90% of the time but my daily carb load would vary between 50 too 100 carbs a day of non sugar carbs. Calorie wise it was about 15% of the total calories making me about 85% carnivore since that’s all that’s left. I had eliminated seed oils already, except when I went off the rails and gave in to something illicit. Since I had yet to deal with the craving of eating just for the serotonin high of eating my problem was consuming to many calories so that expenditure was the same as my intake. Partly it was because I felt that if I cut my calories my metabolism would drop and I would not be any better off and it would lead to frustration and falling off entirely and having to start over and get back on track. I tried all the different eating patterns and had some success with them but I found myself breaking my own rules and eating when I felt like it. 

One positive thing I accomplished was devising a morning exercise routine that I follow every morning without fail it sort of just starts the day off right  It’s mostly a stretching routine that has elements of calisthenics and Qigong, a type of Chinese calisthenics, along with some standing yoga exercises and Tai chi balance movements. It takes about an hour to do and I have been doing it for over a year and seen and felt the positive results of it. It probably is what made me stick to my way of eating and just kept looking for a path that would see me having the same success in my weight loss as I was having in my exercise routine.

How I finally came to carnivore and the results of that since about Labor Day, I’ll go into on the next post.

No comments: